Because Ohio State Haters Need To Hear This

Before I start, I want to throw some quick facts everyone’s way about the bowl games for the major Big Ten teams this season (Rankings are college football playoff ranks. Since Nebraska was ranked in the AP Poll, I’m including them in these games)

Holiday Bowl (San Diego, California): (24) USC: 45,

Nebraska: 42.

USC is 125 miles from the stadium. Nebraska is 1,558.

Citrus Bowl (Orlando, Florida): (16) Missouri: 33

(25) Minnesota: 17

They’re both really far from Orlando. This is a neutral site game. Congrats to Mizzou.

Outback Bowl (Orlando, Florida): (19) Auburn: 31

(18) Wisconsin: 34

Auburn is 463 miles from the stadium. Wisconsin is 1,348.

Cotton Bowl (Arlington, Texas): (5) Baylor: 41

(8) Michigan State: 42

Baylor is 98 miles from the stadium. Michigan State is 1,136.

Sugar Bowl (New Orleans, Louisiana): (1) Alabama: 35

(4) Ohio State: 42

Alabama is 292 miles from the stadium. Ohio State is 914.

I understand nobody wants to go to Wisconsin in January, but I just like to look at those numbers because it makes it that much sweeter. Now… on to my rant.

Time to ruffle some feathers, people. In case you weren’t aware, I am an Ohio State fan. Like most Ohio State fans, I make it painfully obvious by yelling “O-H!” every time I see someone in any type of Buckeye apparel. Of course, the person on the other end will immediately respond. It’s gotten to the point where not replying with “I-O!” and a fist pump is almost worse than leaving a high five hanging. I will freely admit that Ohio State fans are obnoxious. Heck, I’ll even say that we are the 2nd most obnoxious fans in all of major sports. So, who is the most obnoxious group? The Buckeye haters—especially the ones who double as analysts. The way Ohio State and the Big Ten were disrespected this year is a joke.

I would LOVE to know how many critics of Ohio State’s schedule actually watched the Big Ten this season. Because anyone who saw Wisconsin’s running game would have seen them beating Auburn. I’ll admit that I had Wisconsin winning by double digits, but a win is a win. On top of that, there’s no way Michigan State should have been a shock to anyone either. But guess what? It’s cool to say the Big Ten is horrible. Why is that? Because they were ONCE the most overrated conference in college football? When Florida and LSU slaughtered the Buckeyes in back-to-back seasons, there is no doubt the Big Ten had been overrated for a while. However, what exactly does that have to do with 2014? Why is Urban Meyer the best coach in the country when he’s in the SEC, but he comes to the Big Ten and now you don’t hear his name? Riddle me that, Mark May.

So, because I know none of you actually watched this team play this year, let me give you a little recap of our undeserving season. We get to start off the year with the news that our starting quarterback, and one of the preseason Heisman leaders, won’t play this season. We were already being labeled as the “overrated” team coming in ranked #4, and we proved our critics right against Virginia Tech. It’s crazy to think that a kid playing the most important position on the field, in his first meaningful college football game, would play poorly. This might be the only full game that Mark May watched the Buckeyes play.

There are two types of athletes in the world—competitors and non-competitors. I think it’s safe to say we found out what type of player J.T. Barrett is. This kid put together one of the best college football seasons in recent history and led the Buckeyes to win after win. It wasn’t always pretty, but please remind me what great college football team hasn’t struggled with any opponents.

Let’s talk about Michigan State. Oh, Sparta, I genuinely felt bad for you this year. See, last season, when Michigan State beat Ohio State, they were hailed as the only legit Big Ten team. This year’s team fought hard, but eventually lost to a team that was better than them. So now, just ONE YEAR LATER, Michigan State is “overrated”, “just a product of a horrible conference”, and all sorts of other labels that are simply, OBJECTIVELY, untrue. So THANK YOU Sparta. The way you played against Baylor (you know, that team that should have been in the playoffs ahead of Ohio State) was a beautiful display from an underrated and underappreciated team.

Conference championship week. Ohio State vs. Wisconsin. Wisconsin’s running game would be too much for the Buckeyes. Oh, and one minor detail. Heisman candidate J.T. Barrett broke his ankle against Michigan, leaving the Buckeyes with their THIRD-string quarterback, Cardale 12-Guage Jones. The Badgers’ defense would stifle this kid. The first game of his career is in a conference championship game? Mark May has been waiting all season for something like this to happen. Touchdown, Ohio State. Touchdown, Ohio State. Touchdown, Ohio State. Touchdown, Ohio State. And however many more times I need to say that until the score reaches 59-0. All of a sudden, “Wisconsin is awful.” “Wisconsin is the worst 15-seed in the history of college football.” “With a conference like this, OF COURSE Ohio State only has one loss.” So shoutout to the Badgers. The worst 15-seed in the history of sports just beat Auburn (who was viewed by many as the team with the best shot to beat Alabama) in a game that should not have been nearly as close as the score. It turns out, Wisconsin’s RECORD SETTING running game is actually pretty good. The Buckeyes were just the better team this season.

Alabama is clearly better than any other team in the country. Oregon avenged their early season loss by slaughtering that same team in the conference championship game. Florida State went undefeated in the most unimpressive way possible and against the weakest conference of the Power 5. But, undefeated is undefeated, and I will never argue the fact that Florida State earned the right to get destroyed by Oregon. One playoff spot left. TCU. Baylor. Ohio State. I said it then and I’ll say it again: Baylor ruined TCU’s shot at the playoffs. For the record, I believe all three teams deserved to be in the playoff, but I also believe any playoff system should be at least eight teams. I still have yet to hear a legitimate argument as to why the Buckeyes did not deserve the 4th spot over both of these teams. If the Big 12 had a championship game, surely one of those two teams would have been in. But they don’t. 12-1 is better than 11-1. Baylor’s loss to West Virginia was at least as bad as Ohio State’s loss to Virginia Tech (let’s all remember that Baylor was healthy, at least compared to the Buckeyes). However, Baylor beat TCU and Kansas State. Tough to put TCU ahead of a team that beat them and finished with the same record. Plus, Ohio State just beat a 15th-ranked Wisconsin team 59-0.

So the only remaining argument is that Ohio State played a horrible schedule. I don’t even need to say any more about that. The people who claimed the Big Ten was horrible this year are the people who didn’t watch the conference. The people who thought the Buckeyes would get annihilated against Alabama are (and have been proven) clueless. ESPECIALLY if they paid attention to the Wisconsin and Michigan State games. Plus, the Buckeyes have a decent coach you may have heard of. Exactly WHEN has Urban Meyer gotten blown out in his career as a coach? The guy has won 84.4% of the games he’s coached. (If he did get blown out at all, please remind me, because I didn’t take the time to look up all of his games).

Did the committee get it right? Yes. Did the committee get it perfect? Not at all. That wasn’t an option. Five teams very clearly deserved to be in the playoffs this season, and I would have loved to see Michigan State and Baylor in there as well. I am thrilled that TCU beat down Ole Miss. With 5 power conferences, there is no way the playoffs should be restricted to four teams. I’m all about player safety, so go ahead and eliminate one of the regular season games. Does Bama really need to play Florida Atlantic?

Finally, I will leave you with a few thoughts:

1. Think about how many times the BCS got it wrong in the past. This year’s national championship matchup would have seen Alabama on one side of the field. Florida State, despite their struggles, went undefeated in a power 5 conference and would have been the default second team. And they told us a playoff system wasn’t necessary.
  2. The Big Ten was, at one point, the most overrated conference in football. Remember when people thought it should be an OSU-Michigan rematch for the national title? However, just because they used to be overrated, that doesn’t mean they should be disrespected the way they were in 2014. Anyone who actually watched a good dose of Big Ten games would see that.
  3. Random, but thank goodness Michigan took a step toward turning around their program. The Big Ten needs them to be good again.
  4. If you think you have college football figured out, you’re wrong.
  5. Did anyone see the look on Urban’s face when Mark May started talking?
  6. Take out the name “Ohio State” and you’ll appreciate the narrative of this team too. Name another team that could compete after losing one Heisman candidate quarterback, let alone two of them.

Last, but certainly not least: Oregon is a GREAT football team. They have been a dominant force all season long, and the national championship is going to be one great game to watch. And guess who has earned the right to come out of the other tunnel… O-H!

IMG_0941

Standard

60 thoughts on “Because Ohio State Haters Need To Hear This

1. PromNiteDumpsterBaby says:

Coming from an Alabama fan, I will let you know that not every Bama fan thought it would be a blowout. Personally, I thought it would be competitive with some of your great players (Bosa and Smith mostly). However, I thought Bama would win solely based on the fact you had a third string quarterback starting the game against one of the best defenses over the last 5 years (our db’s weren’t great this year).

I have to give props to Cordale. He played much better than I thought he would. I got a text from one of my OSU friends after it was 21-6 and he said the game was over. My response was that I thought it would still be competitive and I wasn’t satisfied. Clearly, I was right.

So yes, Bama fans and others alike thought OSU would get beat, and even OSU fans started to doubt at the beginning of the game.

Good luck to the buckeyes in the NTG, but I’ll be pulling for Oregon. #QuackQuack

Liked by 2 people

• You’re obviously someone who pays attention to college football. I actually think a lot of Bama fans gave OSU a fighting chance (obviously still thought Bama would win, but you can’t fault that – Bama is a great team). I have no issue with people thinking that Ohio State would lose. And I would be lying if I wasn’t getting nervous when it was 21-6. Getting more yardage than your opponent can only get you so far… My issue has nothing to do with fans like you – it is more with the people who blindly (and loudly) claimed the Big Ten is a horrible conference without watching any of their games.

All of that aside, great game! OSU’s future looks bright, and Bama isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. In other words… I’m sure there will be a playoff or NTG rematch in the near future. Thanks for reading!

2. Jim says:

I can’t believe you didn’t touch on the fact that the pac-12 referees gave Oregon the game when they played Michigan State, and everybody knew it. To call Michigan State overrated was to say the same thing about Oregon. I live in Pac-12 country and I’ve been saying it all year.

Liked by 1 person

3. Very well thought out article, and also very well written. Please stop referring to Cardale Jones as a 3rd string QB. Not a criticism but an observation. Cardale would have been this year’s starter had it not been for his infamous “we are here to play football not school” tweet.
    Consider this question. How many coaches in the top 25 if given the opportunity would have started Cardale this year over the QB they had? EXACTLY… He’s NOT a 3rd string talent.
    When I say that at OSU we do not have backups we have multiple starters I am being far more sincere than boastful. They just can’t all play at once (eg Kenny Guiton)
    I can’t say that I expected for us to win the Bama game, after all my formative years were during the John Cooper era when in 10 of 10 BIG games we played we had “SEC talent” but performed like teams from the OAC (see Div III college football).
    One overlooked fact is that the passing of Kosta Karageorge has galvanized this team. They lost a brother, and in as much as football matters in “real life”, this last game matters to these men.
    I am an Urban Meyer believer… I can’t wait for him to bring home one more win a week from today!

Liked by 1 person

• Don’t worry Ivra! I’m plenty familiar with OAC football! And excellent point about Kosta… his passing is definitely something that has brought this team together, and it was certainly an omission on my part not to include that point in my writing. Thanks for reading!

• Joe Brown says:

Jones was the third string QB long before the “we didn’t come here to play school” tweet came out. He is referred to as a 3rd string QB because, um, he IS one. Don’t get your panties in a bunch. No one is knocking his talent, he’s awesome and I, and the rest of Buckeye Nation, love him.

4. ohio state homer says:

Each team arrives at the vicinity about a week ahead of time, therefore traveling does not make as big of a difference when it is not during the season. If you want to talk about traveling distance, disregard that also. Each school is given around the same amount of tickets to sell for the game. Maybe you should take something into play other than miles away from a stadium for this to be a legit argument. The B10 was probably the 4th best conference this year, saying it was better than the SEC, PAC12, or BIG12 is simply just absurd.

Liked by 1 person

• Don’t worry – I’m not under the impression that traveling distance is in any way affecting the outcome of these bowl games. These are 18-22 year old kids. Heck, most of them are probably too excited to get somewhere warm this time of year that they could fly out the day of the game and not feel any jet lag. However, just because both schools get the same number of tickets, that does not mean the same number of fans go to the game. I was stuck in Miami last season for a few extra days so I went to the Orange Bowl. The number of tickets re-listed online was absurd because there are plenty of fans who aren’t able to make the trip. In other words, the number of fans at the Holiday Bowl were not equal parts USC and Nebraska. I’m not saying the difference was big for all of the games (in general, the bigger the bowl game, the more evened out the crowd is), but there WAS a clear difference in some of them. As I noted in my writing, this was just meant as more of an aside than a legitimate point for my argument.

As far as ranking conferences go, I’m going to leave you the most unsatisfying response ever and avoid doing so. I’m the one who said that if you think you have college football figured out, you’re wrong. The fact is that while I saw a ton of SEC, B1G, and ACC games, I am pretty far outside of Big 12 and Pac-12 country. So I saw the top half of each conference play, but I can’t claim to know how deep either team is. I know what I’ve heard from people, but I also heard that Michigan State didn’t stand a chance against Baylor and Ole Miss would give TCU a hard time. So, long-winded answer short, my point is that the top B1G teams were picked to be blown out by way too many experts for me not to write a blog on it. It’s one thing if you’re a fan, but when analysts start predicting 3TD losses… well, you get the picture. Anyway, thanks for reading! Out of curiosity, what conference country are you from? I’m not sure if “Ohio State Homer” is a reference to your fanhood (if so, then O-H!) or my OSU-biased opinions 🙂

5. Paul says:

Great Post…

My brother is an SEC fan. Yes. He is a fan of an entire Conference. He is constantly telling me how superior the SEC is to OSU… The day we beat Michigan State, I said it would be Oregon and OSU in the Finals. My FB was lit up telling me how crazy I was! Hell, it was possible there would be TWO SEC teams in the NTG.

When we beat the Badgers he ranted to the Committee to “Please put OSU in the playoffs and prove that this is all about the Money. Because OSU is a “sexier school with a traveling fan base which will bring in the Benjamins… Please, Please, Don’t put the teams that deserve to be there in, Please put in OSU… I want to see Bama beat the snot out of them…”

Funny, I haven’t heard from him… I wonder how much he lost on that game…

Doesn’t surprise me. His favorite conference isn’t going to be represented. I tell him all the time, in OSU country, we are OSU fans. We cheer for ONE team. We don’t need to cheer for an entire conference to cheer for a winner!

Go BUCS! (That said, I was glad to see several B1G teams win their bowl games…)

• fodor says:

Yes in 2006 OSU got embarrassed and all the talk about making Michigan the #2 team didn’t help. Then in 2007 where was Florida? Getting beat by a Michigan team that OSU crushed in some “meh” bowl. So sure LSU was good enough to win by two touchdowns in 2007. By 2008, LSU is in a “meh” bowl playing Georgia Tech (#22) after a 5 loss season, while OSU faced a very solid Texas (#4) team. OSU has the most BCS appearances of any team and they won most of them. If you compare them to a mashup of Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Florida; OSU can’t always compete, but neither can any one of those teams…

6. Excellent article. I can’t wait to share it on FB. Since you seem to know a lot about college football, conferences, etc., I wonder if you are familiar with the differences in qualifications between the conferences? I’ve heard certain conferences have lower academic standards, but haven’t ever seen a story actually documenting whether or not those differences truly exist.

7. Steve76 says:

To what you said about eliminating a regular season game:

The mid level conference schools rely on the paycheck they receive from power 5 schools I’m those early non conference games. Removing one of those games would cut a lot of programs budgets. Something to think about.

8. Ashley says:

Great article!!! So I’m curious what other OSU fans see for our future. Let’s say we beat Orgeon…..what happens next year? We have the amazing Braxton Miller….heisman candidate, record breaking JT Barrett, and championship winning Jones….who does Meyer start at QB? I think the haters are banking on this being what tears buckeye nation apart. Do you send Miller away and choose between Barrett and Jones? How do you bench the championship winner? Just curious about other fans thoughts on this.

Liked by 1 person

9. Great article. for those who are saying traveling doesn’t matter it does. It takes longer than a week to adjust to the location and play a tough game. If you don’t believe me just ask a military service member, heck I’ll tell you it is after spending a lot of time in the hot box of Iraq. That’s all for now O-H-I-O buck a duck

10. J.R. Fickert says:

Its funny you should bring up these points…they’re the exact ones I’ve been saying as well. i try to look at everything from a neutral view but i sometimes get a little biased towards my Buckeyes. but when all but 1 ES(EC)PN “experts” picked bama to win, i thought they were crazy. Ohio State lost 2 possible heismen finalists if situations had been a little different, and still shut 2 finalist down, one of which was the leading rusher in the country and the other was held to only 79 yards on 9 catches in the bama game.

also does anyone else find it obnoxious that whenever an SEC team loses, their fans always automatically bring up that they aren’t just bama fans, or florida fans or Lsu fans…they all claim to be SEC fans. like come on, pick one or 2 schools and leave it at that.

and to your point about TCU and Baylor, i was looking at the numbers and i don’t see how anybody could pick someone over ohio State. Baylor won the head to head against TCU so they would’ve been the second choice but ohio States had one more win, and more impressive wins to cancel the terrible loss.

speaking of that loss, while watching tv coverage after the loss to VT, i couldn’t help but notice that nobody brought up the fact that it was J.T. Barrett’s 2nd start in college. and it was at the shoe at night…thats a ought place to play, then with the excitement of a night game.

but i think now people are starting to respect Ohio State and the B1G more now.

GO BUCKS and O-H!!!!

11. Woody Hayes III says:

had ohio state and michigan played for the title like bama and LSU then the big ten would have won another national title and the over-rated talk would never have started. the next year osu was #9 with two weeks to go and everyone in front of them blew it.

12. Brew says:

And if you remember , OSU/Florida was in Georgia Dome ( it was at least florida’s second game in a row there (sec champ), I think maybe 3rd that year playing Georgia in regular season) OSU/LSU game in New Orleans, I think 80 miles from LSU . So yeah, would love to see “these dominant” sec teams travel North ( the Shoe, the Big House, Happy Valley , etc) Or even pro teams venues up this way. 8 teams first 4 games at higher seeds house. Then last games at “bowl” venues.

• Rick Benjamin says:

Exceptionally well thought out article I really appreciated the insight into college football. Go Bucks!! Squash the ducks.
      Kyle K,
      Rick Benjamin here in Portland Oregon, so is Brad. Trust all is well in Dublin ! Take care!

13. Linda says:

With a triple threat in Miller, Barrett and Jones, I believe we can do amazing things next year! Use Miller as a running back, switch them up and around. No one will know what’s coming at them! Ohio State has more than depth……..they have heart, determination and CLASS! They also have an awesome coach in Meyer, (which he was considered a top coach in the SEC but not so much as a B1G coach?), they also have the Best Damn Band in the land as well as the Best damn fans in the land! Even through a loss to Va Tech, we didn’t get online and rant, blame or humiliate our team, we stood behind them and cheered them on to the NTG! That’s what REAL FANS do for their team!!! We may get nervous when games are close but that is True Buckeye Style! Leaving us on the edge of our seats, nail biting, cursing, yelling and routing our team on to victory! If you can’t understand the Buckeye dynamics, then you’re either a hater or just plain ignorant! Go Bucks!!! O-H!!!

14. Travis Burson says:

Just wanted to say that your argument regarding the bowl games and difference in distances between the two opponents has another side people don’t realize. I went with 10 of my best friends down to Nola for the Sugar Bowl, and as students of this great university we of course were one of the many people who made a pit stop in Tuscaloosa. That pit stop was after a grueling 9 hours in spent in a 2003 Ford Tauras and it made us think how fair is this? How is it fair that we’re well over half way to New Orleans and they have a short drive to make in the next few days? Well one very important thing to remember is money. I said once we left “there should be a bowl game in Indy!” It’s has a beautiful stadium and it’s wonderful city with no open container laws, but it is not a vacation destination for most people. Especially in the eyes of the NCAA and its corporate sponsors. Nola, Southern California, Orlando, even Jerry World in Arligton are places people want to travel to (even though Arlington has shotty weather this time of year.) TCU fans for instance wouldn’t travel as well to Indy compared to those backing Buckeye Nation traveling to just about anywhere in the continental United States. Yes our alumni base is everywhere and that helps, but it’s all about making the most money. So for all my fellow Buckeyes, it sucks tremendously that we have to make the trip to Texas, but it’s the shitty hand we’re dealt being from the north. Hope to see all of you on the road to Arlington this weekend! Go Bucks!!

15. Anthony Pero says:

Nope, I can’t name one team that could adequately replace one Heisman trophy candidate at QB,let alone two… but then again, I couldn’t name one team in history that could honestly say that “Next year, our Heisman Trophy candidate will be whichever of the three QBs on our roster ends up being the starter next year” either.

Look, I’m a Wisconsin fan. Would 59-0 be likely to repeat itself? Not really. Highly unlikely. But I think if we replayed that game 10 times, Wisconsin would be lucky to win it once. Ohio State’s players really are that much better. I can only think of two players on Wisconsin’s roster that would make Ohio State’s two-deep. One is an offensive lineman and the other is Melvin Gordon.

So that said… yes, the B1G is certainly not overrated. That would be impossible. But the B1G isn’t good. Michigan State and Wisconsin would be mid-tier SEC programs, like an Auburn, that occasionally break out once every 5-7 years. Ohio State DOES play an easier schedule… but that doesn’t mean they aren’t the best team in the country. They have the best recruiter and coach, the most expensive staff (that is also very god), money on trees, a talent-rich state… I really don’t see anyone beating Ohio State but themselves in the next five years.

16. Ginger Wright says:

Use to love Ohio State, but after seeing how poorly they act and how rude they are in all circumstances win or lose they sicken me. Poorest sportsmanship I’ve ever seen and it’s sad. I lived there once, but I’m sure glad I am no longer considered a buckeye simply because of no other reason than you admission in the first couple paragraphs of this writing. It’s uncalled for and very unclassy

• There are bad sports wherever you go. Personally, I will never, ever like Florida for the way their fans taunted OSU fans after they beat us in the championship game in 2006. I was there and it definitely soured me on most anything Floridian. All the Buckeye fans I know are great fans. We support our team thru thick and thin. We don’t make excuses and we take pride in our accomplishments. If that is poor sportsmanship, so be it. I am proud to be a Buckeye. O-H!

17. Hh says:

The reason the buckeyes and the rest of the big ten got no respect is because they haven’t earned it in the last ten years. Before this year, the big tens winning percentage in bowls against other power 5 teams was 40%, while the sec’s was 63%. Obviously you can’t base everything off previous years, but when the only big ten teams that did play quality out of conference opponents lost (during the regular season) you can see why they continued to get little respect. Now that osu, msu and Wisconsin won against quality opponents, they will get the credit they obviously deserve. So in conclusion, it’s nothing to get upset about. It’s a fact that the big ten wasn’t really the greatest the past 10 years, but this year their top 3 teams were legit and they will get the credit that they earned.

18. I.O! My god you sound just like me. This is a narrative I repeat every day all day at my barbershop. You can call it a rant, you can disagree with the rant, but at the end of the day you do happen to disagree then you’re at MOST just a casual college football fan and you don’t know sh!t. We’ll said my friend. I’d just like to kick in and say that on the morning Jan 1 2010 we were too slow and ranked lower than Oregon, but the next day Mark May had to eat crow. (Lmao at you Mark May, did you manage to mention this week that your Alma mater blew a 28 point lead in the 4th quarter against Houston? Doubt it.) And fun little fact: If we beat Oregon on Monday it won’t be the first time we beat them with our third string qb. And history does tend to repeat itself.

19. fodor says:

Please stop capitulating that the LSU championship was a “blow out”. LSU won and that is fine. One quarter was a “blow out” but the total game was a two score margin. That is a game. It wasn’t close, but it wasn’t an embarrassment.

Bowl Games and BCS games are supposed to be hard and Ohio State has generally carried itself pretty well. It is the rest of the B1G that has failed to keep Ohio State out of bowl games it wasn’t ready to play and it is the rest of the B1G that has failed to win non-conference games. Thank you to Sparty for finally starting to right the conference last year.

20. fodor says:

I was really shocked to see just how badly Michigan State and Ohio State physically abused Baylor and Alabama. If you watched the Baylor game, you could see that there was just nothing left. They emptied the tank on Michigan State and Sparty kept rolling. It wasn’t as pronounced with Alabama, but if you saw the team off the field, you could see that Alabama was also beat up and broken. I am sure Ohio State and Michigan State were hurting too. These were great games, but the cameras really caught how badly Baylor and Alabama players just wanted to be done playing. That last possession by Baylor they just couldn’t continue to function as a team. I won’t say they gave up, but as a unit, they broke down.